Throw Back Thursday to SSCI's With Pollution Experts, Look Before You Leap - SSCI Environmental
With pollution experts, look before you leap. Experience counts; bargains can prove costly.
Here are some common fallacies:
- A limited asbestos survey is sufficient to determine the presence of asbestos.
- Environmental regulations are the same in every state.
- A consultant who has identified an environmental problem with a Phase I assessment can then just clean it up; there is no need to pay for a Phase II assessment.
- Historical use of the property is not a source of concern.
- If the environmental consultant makes no recommendations for further study or cleanup, there are no problems.
This article appeared in the AMERICAN BANKER IN 1995 but still rings true today.